Host: Robert White
Robert has worked in the adult beverage industry for over 30 years and 27 years in liquor sales both wholesale and retail. He was Inducted to the Keepers of the Quaich in 2008. This is a society whose members must have at least a ten year contribution to sales of Scottish Whisky and the Scottish Whisky industry. Not to be confused with Companions of the Quaich which is a whisky club for which there are chapters all over the world that anyone can join. The Keepers only invite approximately 50 people in per year. Your name has to be put forward at least twice before you can be accepted. He is number 1832. There are approximately 40 of them in Canada and 3000 world wide. Pretty impressive, right? Well, besides being a whisky nerd, Roberts claim to fame is that he got drunk with the Duke of Argyle – Scottish royalty. He also owns land in Scotland and so he and his wife are supposed to be referred to as “Laird and Lady White.” Fun fact: the land is one square meter in the northern Hebridean Islands – and he’s never even been to it. But hey, it’s the title that counts!
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Perfect if you are new to whisky, looking to expand upon your knowledge, or you need an excuse to kick back and sip on several wee drams.
Virtual Whisky 101 has seven, carefully selected whiskies representing the different whisky styles that are readily available in our market. Robert White, a Keeper of the Quaich, and a self-professed whisky-nerd of YYC will guide you through the tasting. Here’s a sampler of what Robert will be chatting about:
- A brief overview of the process of whisky making
- Discuss why some whiskies have their age stated while others don’t
- Taste peated versus non-peated styles
- Explore how finishing whisky in a barrel that was used for something else (like sherry, port, or sauternes) changes its flavour
- Time for questions and discussions after each sample
Your tasting kit
- Glenmorangie Nectar D’or Sauternes Cask (Retail price : $94.99)
- Auchentoshan 12 Year (Retail Price: $58.99)
- Clonakilty Port Cask (Retail Price: $74.99)
- Kilkerran 12 year (Retail Price: $79.99)
- Springbank 15 year (Retail Price: $119.99)
- Highland Park 12 year (Retail Price: 67.99)
- Kilchoman Sanaig (Retail Price: $89.99)
Getting your whisky for the Tasting:
- Pick up your whisky at Rocky Mountain Wine Spirits Beer anytime between March 19, 2021 – March 25, 2021. You may assign someone else to pick up your whisky during the checkout process. ID including proof of age will be required to pick up the tasting kit. See our store location and hours.
- You can ship via Canada Post for an extra fee (calculated during checkout). If shipping, be sure to order before March 14, 2021 so we can get your whiskies to you in time.