WHO IS THIS FOR?
Perfect if you are new to whisky, looking to expand upon your knowledge, or you need an excuse to kick back and sip on several wee drams.
Virtual Whisky 101 has seven, carefully selected whiskies representing the different whisky styles that are readily available in our market. Robert White, a Keeper of the Quaich, and a self-professed whisky-nerd of YYC will guide you through the tasting. Here’s a sampler of what Robert will be chatting about:
- A brief overview of the process of whisky making
- Discuss why some whiskies have their age stated while others don’t
- Taste peated versus non-peated styles
- Explore how finishing whisky in a barrel that was used for something else (like sherry, port, or sauternes) changes its flavour
- Time for questions and discussions after each sample
Your tasting kit
- Glenmorangie Nectar D’or Sauternes Cask (Retail price : $94.99)
- Auchentoshan 12 Year (Retail Price: $58.99)
- Clonakilty Port Cask (Retail Price: $74.99)
- Kilkerran 12 year (Retail Price: $79.99)
- Springbank 15 year (Retail Price: $119.99)
- Highland Park 12 year (Retail Price: 67.99)
- Kilchoman Sanaig (Retail Price: $89.99)
Host: Robert White
Robert has worked in the adult-beverage industry for over 30 years on both the wholesale and retail sides of the business. He was inducted into the Keepers of the Quaich in 2008. This is a society that requires a significant and long term contribution to the sales of Scottish Whisky and the Scottish Whisky industry – not to be confused with Companions of the Quaich, which is a whisky club for which there are chapters all over the world that anyone can join. The Keepers of the Quaich only invite approximately 50 people to join each year. Robert is inductee number 1832 out of 3000 world-wide members, and one of the few Canadians to receive the honour. As of today, there are only about 40 Keepers of the Quaich in Canada. Pretty impressive, right? Well, besides being a whisky enthusiast, Robert’s claim to fame is that he got drunk with the Duke of Argyll – Scottish royalty! One last fun fact: Robert was gifted a square metre of land in the northern Hebridean Islands of Scotland. This technically makes Robert a “Laird” in Scotland, and his wife a “Lady”. He’s never actually been to see his little chunk of land, but it’s the title that counts, right?
Getting your whisky for the Tasting:
- Pick up your whisky at Rocky Mountain Wine Spirits Beer anytime between March 19, 2021 – March 25, 2021. You may assign someone else to pick up your whisky during the checkout process. ID including proof of age will be required to pick up the tasting kit. See our store location and hours.
- You can ship via Canada Post for an extra fee (calculated during checkout). If shipping, be sure to order before March 14, 2021 so we can get your whiskies to you in time.