Our international tasting is meant to guide you through whisky from various, and perhaps surprising countries from around the world. Have you ever tried a whisky from Israel or Taiwan? If not, what a great opportunity to “try-before-you-buy”.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Everyone is welcome but if you’re an adventurous whisky drinker, looking to expand upon your knowledge, or you would like to venture outside the most well-known producing regions, then this is the perfect event for you!
This tasting has seven, carefully selected whiskies representing almost all quadrants from around the globe that are readily available in our market. Robert White, a Keeper of the Quaich, and a self-professed whisky enthusiast, will guide you through the tasting. Here’s a sampler of what Robert will be chatting about:
- A brief overview of the process of whisky making.
- History of the distilleries.
- Taste peated versus non-peated styles.
- Have the opportunity to compare a blended whisky from Japan to a grain whisky from the Netherlands.
- Explore how finishing whisky in a barrel that was used for something else (like sherry, port, or sauternes) changes its flavour.
- Time for questions and discussions after each sample.
Your tasting kit
- Japan: Suntory Toki Blended Whisky (Retail Price: $59.99)
- Israel: Milk & Honey Classic Single Malt (Retail Price: $84.99)
- Taiwan: Kavalan Select Single Malt (Retail Price: $84.99)
- Ireland: Waterford (Retail Price: $109.99)
- Wales: Penderyn Portwood (Retail Price: $135.99)
- England: English Whisky Co. (North Star) 11 Year old Burgundy Finish (Retail Price: $159.99)
- Netherlands: Millstone 2010 Single Malt Peated Pedro Ximenez (Retail Price: $79.99)
Host: Robert White
Robert has worked in the adult-beverage industry for over 30 years on both the wholesale and retail sides of the business. He was inducted into the Keepers of the Quaich in 2008. This is a society that requires a significant and long term contribution to the sales of Scottish Whisky and the Scottish Whisky industry – not to be confused with Companions of the Quaich, which is a whisky club for which there are chapters all over the world that anyone can join. The Keepers of the Quaich only invite approximately 50 people to join each year. Robert is inductee number 1832 out of 3000 world-wide members, and one of the few Canadians to receive the honour. As of today, there are only about 40 Keepers of the Quaich in Canada. Pretty impressive, right? Well, besides being a whisky enthusiast, Robert’s claim to fame is that he got drunk with the Duke of Argyll – Scottish royalty! One last fun fact: Robert was gifted a square metre of land in the northern Hebridean Islands of Scotland. This technically makes Robert a “Laird” in Scotland, and his wife a “Lady”. He’s never actually been to see his little chunk of land, but it’s the title that counts, right?
BYO beer, water and nibbles
We suggest having some distilled water or a beer on hand for cleansing your palate. This tasting does not include food, nor does it require it. However, if you wish to have some nibbles to enjoy with the tasting, we suggest mild bites such as a baguette, crackers, shortbreads, and mild cheeses. Strong flavours and spicy foods should be avoided.
Getting your whisky for the Tasting:
- Pick up your whisky at Rocky Mountain Wine Spirits Beer anytime between September 10, 2021 – September 23, 2021. You may assign someone else to pick up your whisky during the checkout process. ID including proof of age will be required to pick up the tasting kit. See our store location and hours.
- You can ship via Canada Post for an extra fee (calculated during checkout). If shipping, be sure to order before September 10, 2021 so we can get your whiskies to you in time.
Whisky Tasting Series
The International Virtual Whiskey Tasting seminar is the fourth tasting in a series of educational whisky tastings that will take place virtually with Rocky Mountain Wine Spirits Beer. Stay tuned for future tastings to be released soon.